Showing posts with label Joe Cortez. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Joe Cortez. Show all posts

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Klitschko vs Thompson recap

There isn't much to say about this heavyweight fight except for the fact that we personally know two different people who fell asleep some time after the fifth round (and one of them was watching it at 4:30 in the afternoon). 

In the past we have defended Wladimir Klitschko as being a technically sound and fairly dominate fighter, although that coming against a class of schlubs. No longer will we make
that assertion. He is the ringleader of mediocre heavyweights, the captain of the last place team, and quite simply put, the best of the worst.

After putting on a display of boxing for 11 rounds which proved that neither of the fighters deserve to hold the "greatest crown in sports", the fight came to an end when an exhausted Thompson (who was falling all over the place up until then) walked into one of Klitschko's giant right hands. 

Joe Cortez was there to call the fight after Thompson could not get to his feet before the count concluded. And we have to ask how the hell Joe Cortez is still in there? Last week Cortez put his name on one of the worst refereeing decisions of the past ten years (see article).  

He has lost his ring presence and in this fight he missed the opening head-butt (that conveniently split both fighters eyes open in the exact same spot at the same exact time), claiming a punch did the damage. The sanctioning bodies have to consider this when casting Joe for anymore big title fights.

On another note, at least one fighter in the division agrees that it is atrocious. David Haye was in Hamburg to witness the debacle. "If he fights me in the way he fought that guy, he will be knocked out in three rounds," said Haye, after the fight. "He has got the perfect style for me. I don't want him to have any more fights before me as I don't want someone else to do what I will do against him." 
And we are starting to become believers.  Haye has been begging (or demanding) for a fight with Wlad since vacating his cruiserweight titles (see here). And for the first time ever Klitschko acknowledged him as a possible fight. "David Haye was here in Hamburg and wants to fight me.  He is one of the candidates," said the heavyweight champ.

Without even fighting once at heavyweight, Daivid Haye is slowly starting to become the anointed savior of the division. With his speed and heavy KO power (and Klitschko's more-than-not wide open chin) Haye should be able to do what he has been explicating to all of us for the past few months.

Saturdays undercard: Kronk star Jonathon Bank won a decision a close majority decision over Vincezno Rossitto to claim the vacant IBO cruiser weight title. 

Monday, June 30, 2008

Pic of the Week: Soto vs. Lorenzo Ends in Controversy

We are implementing a weekly installment of a boxing pic of the week - old and new pics that will unalterably make the world a better place. This one just so happens to be from Saturday night's pay-per-view under-card.

Rough... did his eyeball fall-out?.... and this guy won the fight.  All be it on one of the worst refereeing decisions we have seen to date, by the man in charge, the "fair but firm", Joe Cortez. 

After being physically mangled for four rounds, Francisco Lorenzo was awarded a very, very controversial victory due to the disqualification of his opponent, Humberto Soto.  

In the midst of delivering a beating, Soto clipped Lorenzo on the back of the head when his knee had just reached the canvas. Immediately Cortez stopped the action for a five minute time out. Lorenzo used this time to lay on the canvas and hold the back of his head in pain, obviously trying to buy some time and make sure his nose was still attached to his mug (see here).  

After a few minutes, Cortez made the decision to disqualify Soto for the single punch. Now this type of thing (hitting and opponent while down) happens in about 1 out of every 5 fights and we rarely even see a point taken away.  He gave no warning, no points were deducted and  he had no grounds what so ever to stop this fight. If he had not given the victory to Lorenzo, who was clearly losing, the fight would have surely been stopped by the ringside physician, Lorezno's corner, or the Francisco Lorenzo himself (refer to picture - top of page).  

The decision was in fact so herendous that the WBC refused to give Lorenzo the belt after the fight.  They later announced that the bout is ruled a draw.  And thank god, at least this shows that they care about the integrity of the sport.

Cortez has been surrounded by controversy since the Ricky Hatton - Floyd Mayweather fight, in which many felt he involved himself far too much and cost Hatton a fair chance. May be time to hang it up Joe, especially after the events that occurred over the past weekend. See him below try to stand by one of the worst decisions made in recent history. It's fair to say that he was firmly mistaken on this one.